Surely you know this situation: you are away from the electricity (on the beach, in nature, in transport), and your discharged phone has already 20 minutes ago ceased to make a mournful squeak and disconnected autocratically. Suddenly you realize: you need to call the head immediately (a colleague, friend, relatives). This is where the solar-powered charger comes in handy. Such batteries turn sunlight into electricity, and the built-in or externally connected battery accumulates it and transmits it to the charged devices.
Charging phones and other pocket gadgets
If you often talk a lot on the phone, you do not have to deny yourself this pleasure even in the field. With the emergency recharging of the phone, the smallest solar-powered charger will cope.
You do not even have to wait until the phone or smartphone is fully charged. 50-60% of the charge is enough to enable you to conduct intensive negotiations without fear that they will cease “for technical reasons.”
If on the nature you want to use not only the phone, but also the camera, player, navigator, e-book, you need to buy solar charging with a more capacious battery. Pay attention to the following models: Goal Zero Guide 10 Plus Adventure Kit, PowerTraveller PowerMonkey Extreme, PowerTraveller SolarMonkey Adventurer.
Laptops & Tablets
Not all devices that cope with charging all kinds of pocket gadgets are suitable for powering laptops (with tablets it is much easier, especially if their outgoing voltage is 5 V).
Gluttonous laptops consume more electricity, and the voltage they have is different, usually from 12 to 19 V. So when buying a solar charger, you need to ensure that its output voltage is not lower than that of a laptop. In this case, the device will also be able to charge the phone, smartphone, player, etc. For example, the Goal Zero Sherpa 50 is equipped with a USB port, 12V output, and a special slot for a laptop.
Solar Chargers for Cottages and Camping
The most powerful solar chargers are the models intended for camping and country sites. Power supplies Goal Zero Escape 150 and Yeti 150 have built-in AC outlets. With them you can feel at home – to connect various household appliances, such as lamps, radios, hairdryers, medical equipment, etc.
As for the design and design of the panels, then everything is also ambiguous. Folding models, such as the Goal Zero Nomad 13, weigh less and easily fit in a backpack or bag. Flat panels Goal Zero Boulder 15 and Boulder 30 have an aluminum frame and a protective coating of tempered glass, so they are most conveniently installed for a more or less long period of time. In the Escape 30, solar panels are located in a sturdy plastic briefcase with a handle.
So, here’s what you need to do in order to choose and buy solar charging:
- To study the parameters of the memory, namely: voltage, power, capacity (if it is a power source).
- Compare them with the parameters of those devices that need to be charged. The characteristics of the gadgets can be specified in the instruction manual. Also, the working voltage of the mobile device is usually stamped on the network memory that comes with it.
- Compare the connectors of solar charging and charged devices, find out which adapters and plugs are included.
And further, pay attention to the weight and dimensions, the convenience of construction, the degree of protection from adverse environmental influences, the price of a solar battery, a solar kit or an external battery.
What else does the future and current owners of solar storage need to know?
The performance of a solar panel depends on various factors. The main ones are:
- the area of the battery (the larger the area, the more energy you will get);
- type of cells. The highest efficiency is characterized by single-crystal, as well as polysilicon photocells. Goal Zero uses single-crystal cells, PowerTaveller – polysilicon.
- When the weather is cloudy, the battery charging process slows down.
- Unsuccessful arrangement of the panel in relation to the sun can also be the reason for the low rate of battery charging. Select the best place for the panel will help you a miniature indicator of the intensity of sunlight PowerTraveller UVMonkey. However, the general recommendation is already known: the vertical arrangement towards the sun is better than the horizontal one.
Many solar chargers can be mounted on a backpack. However, charging will be effective only if you are in an open area under direct sunlight. Do not count on it in a dense and dark forest.
- The charging speed of the connected devices depends on the output power of the battery.
- Pay attention to the temperature mode: the solar charger should not overheat. If the day was very hot, then it is better to transfer the solar battery from time to time to a scattered shadow. As for the battery, if its temperature is too low or too high, its capacity decreases.
- The static discharge ratio of PowerTraveller batteries is 10% per year, and this is a very good indicator. Try to ensure that during storage the battery is charged. This does not mean that you need to keep it permanently connected to the network. Simply periodically recharge it to maintain capacity.
- Before operation, it is advisable to carry out 2-3 training cycles (full charge – full charge).